Thursday, January 3, 2008

Find a way to avoid stress and enjoy everyday life

As 2008 starts off many of you are returning to the stress of everyday life so today I thought you might like to know about another interesting book that can show you a way to relax and feel better about yourself and your life.
Here is the Review for this book By Basia Kruszewska (Rochester, NY United States) -
My initial experience with this book was probably a classical example of why the author says spiritual transformation does not come easily to most people. I read the book voraciously. The prospect of the wholeness that Lorena Monda described was enticing. The concepts she spoke of were universal. In every section, I found something that resonated: Hiding your grief from your friends because they think you should be over it. Dividing ourselves into "us" and "them." How to be ourselves while at the same time be willing to change for another.

But in spite of the author's insistence that this book was intended to be used as a workbook, I skimmed or skipped through most of the exercises. I had lots of excuses: I didn't have the time; they were for people who had never done much therapy; I couldn't see how doing them would help me; I was already knee-deep in "real" homework. So when I closed the book it was with a deep respect for the author's wisdom, but (not surprisingly) nothing had changed for me. For as Lorena points out repeatedly throughout the pages of this book, insight is not enough. Transformation is in the practice.

In the days after my first reading, I would remember a sentence, a thought, and for a fleeting moment I would again be drawn to the possibility that things could be different from what they are now. I found myself returning to a certain section, a chapter, re-reading parts that had brought tears to my eyes. And most importantly, I found myself peeking at the exercises with curiosity. Thinking, well if she's as wise as she sounds, then she must know what she's talking about when she says this book is meant to be used as a workbook....

So now, I am slowly, cautiously going back, and practicing. Sometimes playfully, sometimes painstakingly, but practicing. In a sense, writing this review is part of my practice of wholeness. One night, I caught myself thinking, "I'll be able to write a great review for this book when my own transformation is complete." And immediately Lorena's words came to mind: We think we'll find happiness once we work through these issues...or we complete that project...or find that soulmate. My transformation is far from complete, but practice has made me mindful of the fact that wholeness is available here and now.

Do the exercises if you can. But even if insight is all you're after right now, pick up this book. Reading it is a delight. Gentleness and patience are interwoven into every word. You can't help but learn to pay more attention to your body, as Lorena skillfully weaves together Oriental Medicine, Western psychotherapy, the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh, and a deep belief in the interconnectedness of being.

I'm giving copies of this nourishing book to several friends.


The Practice of Wholeness

No comments: